Friday, June 03, 2005

What killing in style is all about.

I got to discover the Giallo genre through music.

Before I even knew what this very unique Italian cinema genre existed, I was already listening to these amazing scores composed by Ennio Morricone & the likes, from the end of the 60's to the late 70's.



So I actually embraced the Giallo genre with my imagination, just listening to the music and letting the images come by themselves. And these images were all conveying an amazing feeling of ambiguous atmosphere and utterly sophisticated esthetics. Just like the music.

This is when I became curious about actually
watching the images that the music I loved was supposed to accompany. But it took me a while to get to this stage. Probably more than 10 years. I imagined a lot of movies before I started confronting my vision to reality. With the fear that it could be disappointing somehow.

So I started only very recently digging into the genre, with the great help of a lot of DVD re-edition happening these days. And soon found out that yes, reality could be very disappointing when you look at the plethoric production of CineCitta during this 60-70s period. A lot of crap movies often with good scores (and bad as well).

However, a significant number of movies do encapsulate perfectly what I had imagined.
Some genuine gems within a chaotic and heterogeneous production.

These films and their music are what I'd like to have a chat with you about. This is the aim of the "Killing in Style" blog.


(I first started to look for a Giallo blog on the web, but most of them appear to be in Italian, which I'm not this familiar with...)

2 comments:

Whiggles said...

I discovered the giallo genre in a somewhat indirect way. It began, as I suspect it did for quite a lot of people, when I saw Dario Argento's Suspiria one night on TV. The film stayed in my mind and later that year I bought the Anchor Bay DVD. This got me interested in Argento's work, and I set about finding more of his films. A little later, I saw my first giallo: Tenebre. I didn't really like it at the time. I thought the acting was bad, the photography ugly and the music silly. Since then I've changed my opinion of it dramatically, and although I don't like Tenebre as much as some, I now recognize it as an important classic. It opened the door to the wonderful world of gialli for me and I won't forget that in a hurry.

Dr. Lee Fratantuono said...

Suspiria is a lot more enjoyable if you consider the possibility that Jessica Harper's character is not entirely innocent...that weird smile she casts over the devastation at the end of the film, coupled with her ability to destroy the Mater Suspiriorum, make it likely she is a master witch herself. Anyway, it was my reading of the film the first time I saw it, and I think it makes the film far scarier and more enjoyable.