Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The camera is the weapon.

Forget one minute about the classic Giallo formula: black gloves, shining blades and blood-dripping.
Keep in mind the giallo's underlying themes: the eye-witness, violent seduction relationships between men and women, the pre-eminence of an aesthetical point of view...

When you look at it through this angle, then Blow-Up (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966) can be considered a giallo masterpiece. One which would have been completely re-shaped by Antonioni's minimalist eye, but featuring the very same ingredients.

Not to mention Herbie Hancock's score, which is an American musical view on Swingin' London, filmed by an Italian - Distanciation also is part of the Giallo.

In 1966, Antonioni probably laid out in Blow Up the key ideas that would become the genetic code of Giallo in the late 60s and early 70s.

3 comments:

Meddle said...

Interesting thoughts about Blow-up and yes I can see the giallo connection as the film is filled with elements that are frequently associated with the genre. Blow-up is not only a brilliant exercise in the thriller it is one of the best films that I have seen to date. The ending with the mimes is creepy and ambiguous. Right now I am on a Michelangelo Antonioni kick lately and I am continually impressed by him as a director.

Sylvain L. said...

Blow Up is definitely a "chef d'oeuvre". I will write a few more articles about it as I think it's really worth investigating further its connections with the Italian "genre cinema". Considering the year it was made, 1966, I somewhat see it as a pioneering movie which made it to Cannes.

Whiggles said...

I believe Adrian Luther Smith's giallo tome Blood and Black Lace even lists Blow-Up as a giallo. I must confess that I still haven't seen the film, but I'll check it out as soon as possible.